Friday, August 13, 2010

Two-wheeled tough guy

If there's one thing I've learned from the cyclists vs. drivers feud, and from life in general, it's that a lot of people are A-holes and/or clueless to the impact their actions have on others. I see it almost every day, from the crosswalk-blocking, into bike lane-swerving drivers to the bikers who ride the wrong way down one ways and make drivers with green lights stop while they cross on red. My favorite Boston biking moment was when an obnoxious woman in a SUV on her cell phone came barreling around a left turn on a green (not a green arrow), slammed on the brakes at the last second to avoid taking out line of bikers who were crossing the street on a walk signal, and screamed "IT IS A GREEN LIGHT!" out her window. "You are an idiot!" I replied, which got a laugh from a few of the other nearly recently deceased pedal commuters. A few months ago I had the dubious honor of giving the finger to possibly the oldest man who's ever been given the finger after he made a left turn right into me, slamming on his brakes only at the last second. We had eye contact the whole time. When I flipped him off he said "Aaaaaagh." A-holeism knows no age. I certainly don't follow all the rules of the road, but when I cross on a red light I make sure nobody is coming and if I briefly ride on the sidewalk to avoid some obstruction I make sure to slow way down and give pedestrians a wide berth.

The bike path I ride on is split, one road for bikes and one for peds. I rarely see bikers on the pedestrian path, but I always see peds on the bike path. It's fine, the bike path is farther from the road and feels more "parky." If I was out with my kids I'd want them to be as far away from the street as possible. But I would also watch them like hawks to make sure they didn't run out in front of speeding cyclists, and I damn sure wouldn't allow the three dogs I was walking to completely obstruct the path. I admit to taking some pleasure in scaring oblivious people as I zip past them with six inches to spare at 15 MPH. My "scare them straight" plan backfired once when a large man took an unexpected step to the left and I hit him and bounced into the grass. I was unhurt, he was unhurt, and he was not angry and apologized (which was lucky for me given his size).

My anger at A-holes had remained internal, however, until I had verbal altercations with two of them this week. The first guy, a "biker", was riding his Magna (Huffy) around in circles in a street while talking on a cell phone. As I passed him and turned onto the bike path, he decided to also turn onto the bike path, and clipped my back tire which almost caused him to wipe out. I just looked back and kept riding. He caught up to me at a stoplight and said (start Puerto Rican accented font) "So you just hit somebody on the street and don't say no sorry no nothing?" (end Puerto Rican accented font) I told him that it was him who had hit me, since bikes don't come with reverse. He mumbled some vague tough guy threats which caused me to laugh at him. He mumbled some more vague tough guy threats centering around something or other not being so funny once he kicked my ass, but then took off riding down the sidewalk in true tough guy fashion. I wondered if he'd be waiting for me the next day but he wasn't, wasting an awesome "I don't really want to fight you but if you insist upon it I will bring the full force of my high school wrestling experience to bear on your ass" speech. Trust me, it was epic.

The next day I was riding in a block-long stretch of road where the asphalt right next to the curb is a mess, a real cyclist deathtrap. So for one block I rode four feet out in the lane. After I'd passed the bad stretch and moved over as far as I could, some A-hole (also in a SUV) passed me and yelled "Ride on the F-in side!" at me. Flush with tough guy vinegar and piss from the day before, I caught up to him at a stoplight and knocked on his window. Also in true tough guy fashion, he didn't want to roll it down. Finally he did and I calmly explained that the condition of the road in that small stretch is terrible and that it is too dangerous to ride on the far right edge. He looked sullen but didn't say anything back. I was wondering what he'd do if and when he passed me again but he never did. I know I shouldn't start anything with anybody in the event that the person is an actual tough guy, or worse, a coward with a pistol but sometimes I can't help it.

The strange thing about biking and the stress in induces is that it doesn't produce any of the somatic changes normally associated with frustration. Something about the physical exercise prevents the white knuckle, vein popping response I get on the rare occasion I drive in rush hour traffic. Maybe it's because my BP is already elevated and my palms sweaty. In any case, I can be riding along wishing butt herpes on a motorist's children and their children's children and still be totally calm. It's a very strange zen-like anger. Someone should do a study. Maybe A-holes are just exercise deprived.

No comments: