Monday, November 3, 2008

Trench Drainage 101

This past weekend Rick and I completed our first major home project (I don't count painting as major). Because our house is built into the side of a hill, it is important that a majority of the rainwater coming down the hill is diverted around the house. I found a potential problem spot in our back yard and had my suspicion confirmed by our home inspector.

So I did a little good ol' fashioned research. I went to the library and checked out landscaping books. I then sketched up a diagram of our backyard and the drainage system that I wanted to install. I also drew a nice diagram of Rick digging a trench...all part of the plan.

So we started on Saturday (1 trip to Lowe's, 2 trips to Home Depot). Here is Rick expertly digging a lovely trench.










And completed the project on Sunday (1 trip to Lowe's, 2 trips to Home Depot).




I think it turned out pretty nice. We'll be planting some lovely shade loving foliage on the right hand side in the spring. Suggestions are welcomed. Otherwise it's back to the library to do some research on shade plants.

2 comments:

Dick said...

Is that a "snow" shovel next to the house in the second picture. Must be for the superintendent to lean on.

the gerbdrians said...

i'm impressed. that looks very professional. i think we need something like that on our west side. when are you coming home?