Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MOBA

I haven't updated in a while because I was waiting for a cable I ordered which allows me to download pics off my phone. We've kind of been coasting around here for the past few weeks, although we have done a few funs. A couple weeks ago we (I) went to Cinematic Titanic, a live performance by the writers and performers of Mystery Science Theater 3000. If you are unfamiliar, please turn in your MN citizenship card. It was a show from the 90s where the silhouettes of a guy and two robots in front of a movie screen showing horrible movies make wonderfully snarky and sarcastic comments about the film. I still remember the first time I randomly flipped it on the TV. I at first wondered what in the world was going on, but when I caught the gist it was an epiphany. The intrinsic humor of a horrible monster/sci-fi/60s movie combined with their razor wit and numerous MN references was an often magical combination. It provided several hours of weekend morning entertainment and played no small role in shaping my sense of humor. My other early influence was having my dad read me the Little Golden Book We Help Mommy with different interpretations of the pictures. In his version the kids were little bastards and were out to destroy their home and parents. Comedy gold to a four year old.

The live performance was of a movie called Blood of the Vampire, in which Filipinos playing Mexicans (including slaves in black face) did battle with ridiculously underpowered vampires. It was worth the price of admission. Liz saw Gran Torino instead. The theater where it was in Somerville has an added incentive to visit, the Museum of Bad Art. It featured bad art. Some examples below. Hopefully you find them as entertaining as I did. Look up MST3K on Youtube if you want a primer.



Why is Elvis crying? Maybe he had a premonition about his own toilet death. Or he was performing "In the Ghetto." That song is a tear jerker.




The previous two speak for themselves and defy explanation. One of the artists has a good grasp of how to paint 80s hair.

The following two were from a collection titled Pointless-ism:




The caption on this one was something about her apparently being half Swedish and half Polynesian.



This one was my favorite, I've included the gallery's interpretation.



In "He Was A Friend Of Mine," the cat seems to be remembering the family Husky, who has passed on to the great kennel in the sky. However, the Exorcist-inspired look in the cat's eyes seem to suggest that the cat resents the fact that the Husky was always the family favorite.

It speaks to me.

When I downloaded these from my phone, there were others from our trip to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Ironic.

No comments: